In this article, we explain what a ketogenic diet is for weight loss. We describe in detail its essence as well as the advantages and disadvantages. After all, not all diets are suitable for every person, not every individual. We hope this article helps you and your health.
What is a ketogenic diet? It is named after the metabolic state (ketosis), which is activated in the body to lose weight when special recommendations are followed and many foods are restricted.
Despite the popularity of the diet, science cannot prove its amazing properties. However, people who have experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, weight gain, and weight normalization. In this article, we tried to gather all the relevant information about the diet, create a weekly menu, and gather feedback.
The essence of the diet
The main principle of the work is to reduce the consumption of carbohydrates, which causes the body to start using internal resources and actively burn fat.
Calculating your daily caloric content shows that your body needs proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and sugar allows you to feel better and maintain a healthy brain. Energy is glucose, and your diet on this diet is limited for a week.
So what should I do? The possibilities lie in the principle of the liver, which preserves glucose reserves, and if it lacks consumption, it "releases a portion, " and the body is once again given the opportunity to function fully. However, the liver stores only a small portion of glucose, so it is not desirable to limit carbohydrates and sugar for long periods of time - the work of the brain and the whole body is based on these reserves.
Despite the popularity of the diet, science cannot prove its amazing properties. However, people who have experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, weight gain, and weight normalization.
Another glucose storage resource is muscle, which can store twice as much glucose as the liver. An important nuance - the glucose in the muscles is stored as glycogen, which in turn "gives life" to the body but does not nourish the brain.
Thus, an emergency caused by the body’s restriction of carbohydrates and glucose causes increased work on the liver and the whole body, allowing the internal fat reserves to be burned. The constant presence of ketone bodies in the blood is a state of ketosis. When you reach it, the active phase of your diet begins.
Is that another name for a low carb diet? Because the principle of such a diet is to limit carbohydrates, for many, the diet becomes synonymous with low carbohydrates. This is not true.
Differences between a ketogenic diet and a low carb diet:
- Carbohydrates and fats / ketone bodies are used for energy production;
- Limiting carbohydrates / 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs in the diet.
Benefits of a ketogenic diet:
- Weight loss from fat, not muscle;
- Lack of hunger;
- Reducing the effects of sugar on the body (minimizing the risk of diabetes, improving the skin);
- Normalization of blood pressure;
- Enhancement of concentration and brain function (by replacing glucose with ketones).
- Long-term restructuring of the body;
- Tachycardia and headache;
- Feeling tired all week;
- Digestive problems - bloating, heartburn, nausea, constipation;
Who is the diet for?
Doctors recommend a similar diet regimen for athletes, those with epilepsy, overweight or diabetes. There are a number of limitations to this diet, so you should see a doctor first.
There are many myths about the ketogenic diet, here are the most important:
- If the weight doesn’t change the next week and your health has deteriorated, then the food is inadequate. In fact, it takes several weeks for the body to adapt - you can’t eat in one way all your life, one day you switch to another type of food and wait for your body to thank you.
- To start the ketosis process, you need to remove almost all carbohydrates and consume protein. It also works the other way around: more protein means less ketosis.
- Ketosis allows you to increase physical activity and release more energy. In fact, heavy exercise is contraindicated because high-intensity training requires glucose and is no longer enough during the diet.
- Diet increases muscle mass. Think about it. . . on a diet! You can lose weight and forget about muscle mass. Of course, you can combine exercise and diet, you can gain lean muscle mass, but better not - it’s full of health.
Types of diet
- Standard, which refers to a critical reduction in carbohydrates in the diet. Suitable for people with a sedentary lifestyle.
- It is targeted if you consume carbs before your workout.
- Alternately, when in the diet, with some frequency, the emphasis is on different micronutrients. For example, one week - proteins and fats, another week - carbohydrates.
Rules and product list
The following rules must be observed:
- Compliance with the percentage of BZHU with the predominance of fats;
- A serving does not exceed 200 grams, although it combines many products;
- Avoid baking, using steam, boiling or frying for cooking;
- Sugar - not like salt;
- Only healthy foods (if needed).
In addition to a ketogenic diet, the concentration of healthy foods on the menu and the ban on foods high in junk and high in sugar are important.
There are a number of limitations to this diet, so you should see a doctor first.
The following foods should not be included in the diet and diet:
- Pasta, cereals, bakery, starchy foods;
- Sugar foods and sweeteners;
- Marinated and processed meat and fish;
- Dried fruits and fruits (with rare exceptions);
- Products containing unhealthy fats;
The menu may include the following products:
- Eggs, fish, poultry, meat;
- Various vegetables;
- Coffee and tea without sugar;
- Lemon, fresh spices, mustard, ginger.
Before starting a ketogenic diet:
- Examine, make sure there are no contraindications, and consult a doctor;
- Familiarize yourself with all the information about the diet - the principles of work, the permitted foods, etc.
- Assess your lifestyle and the possibility of going through the adaptation phase;
- The phasing out of illicit foods is coming;
- Create a menu that allows you to switch carefully to a ketogenic diet;
- Pay attention to the vitamin complex and water balance.
Menu for the week
We offer you a menu that you can use during the week. It is more comfortable to start the diet on Monday.
- Scrambled eggs without butter and cheese.
- Cottage cheese, apples.
- Steamed hake.
- Yogurt with berries (not fat-free).
- Chicken slices with vegetable salad.
- Casserole with fruits.
- Eggs, orange.
- A little cheese.
- Chop with herbs.
- 2 boiled eggs, one apple.
- Toast with cheese.
- Rice with chicken breast.
- Protein cocktail.
- Red fish.
- Cottage cheese.
- Two eggs.
- Baked salmon.
- Omelette with vegetables and cheese.
- Protein rods.
- Buckwheat with meat.
- Boiled beef.
- Pancakes with cheese.
- Casserole with vegetables.
- Chicken, cheese and pineapple salad.
- With my toast pate.
- Fried mushrooms.
- Fried fish, ok avocado and cheese.
- Salad with chicken and vegetables.
- Meatball soup.
- Roast meat with cheese.
We’ve added a guide to your dieting diet menu, now we’re going to talk about some popular and delicious recipes.
Recipes for approved meals
Ingredients: 3 eggs, 500 ml of milk, 200 grams of flour, 500 grams of yogurt, 4 teaspoons of honey
Preparation: make each layer separately and then assemble the cake. Yogurt and honey for dressing, mix the other ingredients and bake in a hot pan like pancakes.
Approximate KBZHU per serving: 24 grams of protein, 9 fats and 48 carbohydrates.
Casserole of chicken fillet
Ingredients: any mushroom 400 grams, 1 onion, 200 grams of chicken fillet, 1 eggplant, 100 grams of cheese
Preparation: fry the mushrooms, onions and eggplant in a pan (separately), cut the fillets, rub the cheese, put them in layers in a baking dish (we get several layers). Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees.
Approximate KBZHU per serving: 10 grams of protein, 2 fats and 8 carbs.
- First tip: this kind of food is not for everyone. When I found out about it, I immediately went to the doctor and together we made a nutrition plan, but we still didn’t have enough strength for the sport.
- Second tip: if there are no health guidelines for a ketogenic diet, it is better to get around it. Violent restriction of sugar in the diet is a mockery of your body and a contributor to constant malaise.
- Third tip: I ran this diet several times. The first one was very bad, I couldn’t even go through the adaptation. And for the second, I prepared in advance - I gradually reduced carbs and increased my fats and vitamins. The result of the weight loss was noticeable within a month.
- Tip Four: You have to be patient in the first week because the state will be one way or another. And then the second wind opens, you run like on the batteries. Hearty and tasty, great results - minus 2% fat in a month.
The ketogenic diet for weight loss has a complex name and simple principles. Suitable for low activity people who are ready to go through the adaptation phase for several weeks. This is based on BZHU food billing and rejection of blacklisted products.
Before using a ketogenic diet, you definitely need to consult a specialist who will not only help you prepare your menu, but will safely transition to a new type of diet. Self-monitoring of your condition with such a diet is problematic, so in the absence of special indications, it is recommended to choose a more humane diet system.